Learn how to make your own crackers with this easy besan crackers recipe

I group most crackers into the rubbish, processed food camp. Unless they’re made of whole food ingredients — something like this for example — they’re a waste of space in my opinion.

The purpose of eating, as I’ve said before, is not only for enjoyment, but also for nourishment. So why should you eat crackers be made of highly refined white flour, preservatives and hydrogenated fats?

Instead, just make your own with whole food ingredients. Like these besan (chickpea) crackers, which are so easy to make and yummy to boot. That way you’ll get more bang for each calorie (not that I count those suckers) — so much so you won’t need to eat much to feel satiated (or nourished).

I have made these crackers a few times and they don’t disappoint. They remind me of the besan snacks my mum used to make called ‘neemkin’. But they were fried. These are way healthier.

Serve with a homemade dip, like guacamole, and you’ve got yourself one neat snack. I have also served these to guests, and they all loved them!

Now, go on, make these crackers. Then come back to let me know how you went in the comments.

Have a happy, healthy weekend!

Lesh xx

PS: Don’t forget about this awesome giveaway. There’s still time to be in the draw.

Besan Crackers

I adapted this recipe from the lovely Sherilyn over at Wholefood Promise — a fertility nurse whose food photography is so good that you could almost eat her creations off the screen.

• 1 cup (250 ml) chickpea (besan) flour
  • 1 cup (250 ml) almond meal
  • 2 tbsp (30 ml) ground linseeds (flaxseeds), or LSA
  • 2 tsp roasted, ground cumin (optional)
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • 2 tbsp (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
  • 100–120 ml water

Preheat oven to 180C/350F (160C/320F fan-forced)
In a bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
Add the oil and gradually add the water.
With clean hands form a dough. The dough should not be sticky — it should come together easily to form a ball. If it’s sticking to the bowl, add a little more chickpea flour. If the dough is too dry, you can add a little more water.
Halve the dough. Roll one half between two sheets of baking paper (so it doesn’t stick) until ~2 mm thick.
Cut into squares and spread on lined baking tray
Bake for 15–20 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack before serving.
Repeat with remaining dough.

Do you know someone who would like to make these? Then please send this post to them. They will love you for it.

Print Friendly

Comments

1. says

Yum! I make my own crackers from time-to-time, and I love it! They’re so much healthier for you than the stuff in stores.

2. Margaret Lowe says

Thanks Lesh, I have been making crackers for some time (without wheat flour), but am looking forward to trying these to add some variety. You are right they are sooo much better for you than the supermarket ones.
    Hoping to try producing the chickpea flour in my Thermomix
    Margaret

3. Alexia @ NamasteYoga says

this post comes just in time! i actually had a pan sized super thin cracker made from besan flour last night. it was basically a crunchy crepe :) love to bake with chickpea flour!

• Lesh says

Hi Jessica, you could try grinding some sunflower seeds into a meal and using that. Or you could try using only chickpea flour. You may need to adjust the water quantity though. I haven’t tried either of these suggestions, so I’m not sure what the crackers would turn out like. If you do experiment, please let me know how you go. Good luck!

4. Monu says

These are soo yummy! Just made them and will be making guacamole in just a while to go with it. Thank you!

5. Paulina Stepien says

I am so excited to finally find an excellent cracker recipe.
    They came out perfectly.
    I did make some changes.
    I ground my own almonds in a food processor, added 2 tbs. of hemp protein instead of flax seed and sprinkled fennel seeds before my last roll. I also cut out circle using a champagne glass because quite honestly, I didnt feel like measuring out squares.
    They baked for 18min at 350 and I used around 1/2 c. water.
    Sooo delicious I am serving them with a roasted garlic and split pea dip.
    Woot!

6. Jason says

Looks great! The possible variations to this recipe are infinite!! Any number of nut or seed meals could essily be subbed for the almond. Dried herbs could be added to your heart’s content. I’m about to experiment! I’ll come back with some good flavor combinations when I have a moment! (I’m thinking my first experiment will be with a dash of ginger powder, a drizzle of honey and some poppy seeds)

7. says

I just made these with sunflower seeds flour instead of the almond flour. I halved the recipe and used 1/2 cup gram flour and 1/2 cup sunflower seeds blitzed in my blender. I added 3 tablespoons of “Omega Sprinkle” which is a blend of pumpkin, sunflower, sesame seeds and linseed and blitzed that with the sunflower seeds. I forgot to half the olivce oil so used the 2 tbsp so mine had more oil – my olive oil was garlic infused! I used 1/2 tsp each of salt, coriander and paprika. I just added water slowly until I got a nice dough. I used my silicon mat for rolling. Delicious. I overcooked them slightly by mistake – not paying attention! Will make these a lot I think – now where’s the cheese!